Thursday, October 24, 2013

Everything's gonna be alright-a!

I don't know about you, but Ore-Ida® frozen potatoes were a staple in our house when I was growing up - and they're a staple in our house now. My Mom always had a bag of Tater Tots® on hand for a quick snack or side and there was always a package of Diced (Southern Style) Hash Browns for our family's favorite potato casserole (every family has one). I'd put money on the fact that Mom has both of those in her freezer right now.

And I DO know, at least for us, that there are two specific reasons for that.

The first of those is convenience. Ore-Ida® offers so many options, each of which significantly cuts down on my time in the kitchen. It's really almost too easy to throw some Ore-Ida® fries or tots in the oven as a side for almost anything. Not to mention, in my many years of cooking, I've yet to make a batch of homemade french fries worth eating. I just haven't been able to get them crispy on the outside & fluffy on the inside - and believe me! I have tried! Also, once, when I was in college, I was going to make Mom's famous potato casserole for a group of us who were grilling out. I'd made it plenty of times, and knew exactly what I was doing. However..... the guy I was dating convinced me that making it with fresh, raw potatoes would be much better. He was wrong. We cooked that casserole for at least 2 hours - potatoes never did get done. [side notes: Didn't marry that guy. Redeye never questions the potato casserole.] That's a lesson you don't soon forget. Ore-Ida® potatoes are already clean, peeled, chopped or sliced and even partially cooked! They've totally done the hard part for you.




The second reason is quality. Over the years we've tried other brands of frozen fries and diced potatoes. There's a difference. I haven't been able to count on consistency with any other brand. When I buy an Ore-Ida® product, I know exactly what I'm getting, and I know it will cook perfectly and it will taste great.


It's really nice when you realize you can use Ore-Ida® potatoes as elements in so many other recipes too. You may not have made a Tater Tot Casserole - but chances are you've heard of it. I made a casserole recently with french fries, ham, broccoli & mushrooms. This would be a great idea for holiday leftovers.



Try something new with them that you haven't before. I know a lot of people who use the Shredded Hash Browns as the base of their breakfast casseroles. Diced Hash Browns are great to use in pot pies and potato soup. Top Ore-Ida® Fries or Tots with chili & cheese, or gravy, or bacon & ranch to satisfy a crew of hungry teens (ore one lady with a sudden craving...). Go ahead! You know you already have them in the freezer!

Click here Ore-Ida for new products and recipe ideas.

I am an Allrecipes Allstar Brand Ambassador (a voluntary position) and I am not compensated for my work with Allrecipes.com.
Products received from Ore-Ida are only used for experienced-based reviews on Mississippi Madness with Mrs. Redeye. The reviews, content and opinions expressed in this blog are purely the sole opinions of me, Staci Maddox.
 

5 comments:

  1. I've enjoyed that hash brown casserole many times at your Mom's house. Love it!

    Arlene

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need some of that fabulous potato casserole now. Please bring me some. It never disappoints.

      Delete
    2. It's SO delicious, isn't it? Thanks to both of you for stopping by. Now, Arlene, if you'll teach me how to make your sweet potato casserole, we'll have the holidays covered (hint, hint)!

      Delete
  2. We had tater tots the other night with our chili dogs, all this tater talk made me do it...LOL. By the way I love your blog's name, it is perfect for you! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's POURING rain here today - Tater Tots & Chilidogs sound like a great dinner! And thanks! Don't know that Red appreciates it, but that's alright-a too, LOL!

      Delete